Thursday, August 26, 2010

This, my friends, is a ficus bonsai tree I bought to make my home a little more . . . happy. At least, it makes me happy when I look at it. I've set it atop Bookshelf No. 3, which totally changes the ambiance on that wall for the better.

Mom tells me that her mother used to name the plants in her house. That's a little silly, in my opinion. I mean, it's a tree. But then again, I also think that the practice of talking to one's plant is silly. According to some people, however, doing so may actually affect it's growth. I guess that makes sense, on some level. I mean, if plants have spirits, just like animals and people do, who's to say that they don't have spiritual needs, like good music and, erm, good conversation?

So maybe, in addition to blaring Queen, I'll let my little bonsai know how pretty it is, how my day went, my thoughts on human-plant relations, etc. I haven't named it yet; I just call it (lacking originality) "Bonsai." But I'm open to suggestions.

3 comments:

Annette said...

It must be a generational thing. I name my plants too. We call the 'money tree' in my kitchen, "Trump'. I think you should name your new bonsai, Miyagi.

Love, Aunt 'Nette

Linda said...

oooh, I vote for Miyagi too. great name Nette! It just screams "potential" which is what that little wannabe-a-tree is all about. Thanks for sharing your "happy" new decor!

Holly said...

Miyagi, huh? It does have a very catchy, Eastern flare to it. I just might do that.